Written by Neitya Pathania, The Young Vision Ambassador (Since 2017)
We all want our nails to look healthy, strong and long, even me!!! Nails add beauty to your hands and shows how healthy you are, your nails are made of the same protein, keratin, of which your hair is made of… Fingernails grow faster than toenails, however the procedure of growth is slow … On normally, fingernails grow about one-tenth of an inch each month. At times they may grow even slower. Several factors may be the reason for slow nail growth. These include the ageing process, hormonal changes in the body, health problems, chemotherapy, medications and nutritional deficiencies, etc.… Slow or poor nail growth can also be accompanied by brittle nails, breakage, splitting and other nail problems. Eating a healthy diet and following proper nail care are easy ways to keep your nails strong and growing at a healthy pace.
HERE ARE FEW SIMPLE REMEDY THAT YOU CAN FOLLOW FOR HEALTHY, STRONG AND LONG NAILS:-
- Olive Oil
Olive oil penetrates the skin and nail, to help repair damage and soften nails and cuticles, which lead to nail strength and health. It helps to retain the moisture besides boosting the blood circulation and giving your nails a natural shine. Olive oil is also good for your cuticles and so used in many nail salons. It helps to keep the nails and cuticles soft and intact. This oil also works great for your nail growth.
- Before proceeding to bed, apply warm olive oil to your nails and cuticles and massage it gently for 5-10 minutes. Wear cotton gloves overnight. Do this regularly.
- You can also soak your nails in warm olive oil for 15 to 30 minutes once daily to promote nail growth.
- Coconut Oil
Using coconut oil is a great way to help with nail growth, Massaging coconut oil into your cuticles and nails on a frequent basis will add moisture and strengthen your nails which will let them grow longer ,it also helps cure hangnails, cuticle infections and fungal nails.
- Massage your nails and hands with warm extra-virgin coconut oil every night, before going to bed. Massage oil in a circular motion so that it improves blood circulation.
- You can also prepare a nail soak. Mix 1/4 cup of organic coconut oil, 1/4 cup of honey and 4 drops of rosemary essential oil. Warm the solution in the microwave for 20 seconds. Soak your nails in it for 15-20 minutes. Follow this remedy one or two times a week.
- Orange Juice
Orange juice has vitamin C content which encourages the production of collagen which keeps your nails healthy. It also has folic acid, which is necessary for nail growth.
- Soak your nails in fresh orange juice for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse them off with warm water, then let our hands dry and then apply some moisturizer. Follow this remedy once daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Lemons again contain vitamin C that is essential for nail growth. Not only that but, it also helps to treat yellow nails and gives your nails a wonderful shine.
- Prepare a nail soak with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Slightly heat the solution in the microwave and then soak your nails in it for 10 minutes. Follow this remedy daily.
- You can also rub a slice of lemon on your nails for 5 minutes, then rinse them with warm water. Pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Do this once daily. Avoid rubbing lemon on your nails if you have any cuts or hangnails, as it may sting.
According to ancient Greek and Roman herbalists, horsetail is an effective herb for nail growth. Being a source of calcium, silica and other useful minerals, horsetail contributes to the overall health of your nails.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon of dried horsetail stems to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover and allow it to steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool.
- Soak your nails in this solution for 20 minutes.
- Follow this treatment at least four times per week.
- You can also drink horsetail tea once daily for healthy nails.